Assistant Curator of the Derby Collection
|Working Hours:||25.5 hours to be worked over 3 days per week|
|Contract:||Fixed term, expected to last for 12 months|
|Salary:||£22,000-£25,000 (dependent on experience and pro rota’d for 3 days per week)|
|Closing Date:||Applications now accepted until 18th June only|
Due to a period of leave, a rare and exciting opportunity has arisen at the Knowsley Estate for an Assistant Curator for the Derby Collection.
This role is based within the ancestral home to the Earls of Derby, Knowsley Hall, which is one of the North-West’s oldest stately homes and has a fascinating history. Owned by the Stanley family, the Derby Collection is a breath-taking collection that has been built up by the Earls of Derby for more than 500 years. One of the most notable points about the collection, and just a small snapshot, is the presence of Edward Lear who is most famous for his limericks and nonsense verse. He was also a prolific landscaper watercolourist, and the Derby Collection to this day holds the outstanding collection of Lear’s early natural history drawings and a highly significant group of his landscaper watercolours, both sketches and finished compositions, that were made throughout the artist’s long later career.
This role involves providing the Curator with assistance in the administrative management of the Derby Collection. The duties of this role will include:
- To assist in the administration relating to the conservation / repair of items in the Collection.
- To assist in the monitoring of the Salvage Plan.
- To assist in the management and administration of short and long term loans.
- To assist in the development and maintenance of the image library.
- To administer all image reproduction requests and issuing of licenses.
- To assist in the curating of all exhibitions at Knowsley Hall.
- To assist with conducting research into the Collections and the history of the Stanley Family.
- To provide tours of the Hall and external presentations when requested.
Our ideal candidate will have experience in this or a similar area, be well-presented, committed to high levels of organisation and have excellent communication skills. You will also need strong IT skills including Microsoft Word and Excel.
Due to our location, your own transport would be advantageous.
How to Apply
Please send in your CV and covering letter to email@example.com. Where email is unavailable, please post your application to Human Resources, Knowsley Safari, Prescot, Merseyside, L34 4AN.
Please click here to view the job description.
Interviews are intended to take place at a suitable time and date to the candidate and ourselves until a suitable applicant has been found to fulfil the role.
We regret that if you have not heard from us within three weeks of your submitting your application, in this instance, you have been unsuccessful.
An exciting opportunity has arisen for a Horticulturalist to join our fantastic Parks and Gardens team within the prestigious Knowsley Estate.
This is a newly created role working alongside a team of 9 people who service the parks and gardens throughout the entire Estate.
Main duties & responsibilities include:
- Alongside the Head of Parks and Gardens and Senior Horticulturalist, undertake all day-to-day aspects of excellent garden presentation and cyclic maintenance.
- Undertake a range of gardening duties, including pruning and planting to specified horticultural standards.
- Undertake plant propagation duties to include: seed sewing, pricking out, potting on and taking cuttings.
- Support the team by ensuring that any team members working alongside you receive adequate instruction and training for them to carry out their duties safely and competently.
- Ensure and promote the correct use and operation of machinery and equipment; undertake and support the application of a wide range of herbicides, pesticides, fungicides and fertilisers.
The ideal candidate:
- Excellent in-depth plant knowledge and sound knowledge of a range of horticultural and gardening topics.
- A vision and passion for horticulture and gardens.
Good knowledge of machinery and a diverse horticultural background.
- Good team player.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Able to carry out the physical requirements of the role, including carrying heavy loads, working outdoors in all weather conditions, kneeling, digging etc.
- A minimum of 2 years professional gardening experience including flower beds.
- A relevant horticultural qualification or equivalent experience and training, ideally a Level 2 Amenity Horticulture.
- PA1/PA6 spraying certificates required.
- QCF Level 2 Chainsaw and Crosscutter preferred.
- First Aid certificates advantageous.
- Full valid driving license essential, trailer licence is an advantage.
- Due to our location, your own transport is essential.
- A competitive salary dependent on experience.
- A permanent contract with full time hours based on the needs of the business.
- 31 days’ holiday per year (inclusive of public holidays)
- A Company that is committed to personal development and training.
- Great Company contributory pension scheme
Application Closing Date: Friday 7 July 2017
How to Apply:
If you are the ideal person for this role, please send your CV in to:
Email address firstname.lastname@example.org
Postal address Human Resources, Knowsley Hall, Prescot, Merseyside, L34 4AE
Knowsley Hall are proud to have received several prestigious awards.