Assistant Curator of the Derby Collection
|Working Hours:||25.5 hours to be worked over 3 days per week|
|Contract:||Fixed term, expected to last for 12 months|
|Salary:||£22,000-£25,000 (dependant on experience and pro rota’d for 3 days per week)|
|Closing Date:||Open until suitable applicant found|
Due to a period of leave, a rare and exciting opportunity has arisen at the Knowsley Estate for an Assistant Curator for the Derby Collection.
This role is based within the ancestral home to the Earls of Derby, Knowsley Hall, which is one of the North-West’s oldest stately homes and has a fascinating history. Owned by the Stanley family, the Derby Collection is a breath-taking collection that has been built up by the Earls of Derby for more than 500 years. One of the most notable points about the collection, and just a small snapshot, is the presence of Edward Lear who is most famous for his limericks and nonsense verse. He was also a prolific landscaper watercolourist, and the Derby Collection to this day holds the outstanding collection of Lear’s early natural history drawings and a highly significant group of his landscaper watercolours, both sketches and finished compositions, that were made throughout the artist’s long later career.
This role involves providing the Curator with assistance in the administrative management of the Derby Collection. The duties of this role will include:
- To assist in the administration relating to the conservation / repair of items in the Collection.
- To assist in the monitoring of the Salvage Plan.
- To assist in the management and administration of short and long term loans.
- To assist in the development and maintenance of the image library.
- To administer all image reproduction requests and issuing of licenses.
- To assist in the curating of all exhibitions at Knowsley Hall.
- To assist with conducting research into the Collections and the history of the Stanley Family.
- To provide tours of the Hall and external presentations when requested.
Our ideal candidate will have experience in this or a similar area, be well-presented, committed to high levels of organisation and have excellent communication skills. You will also need strong IT skills including Microsoft Word and Excel.
Due to our location, your own transport would be advantageous.
How to Apply
Please send in your CV and covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Where email is unavailable, please post your application to Human Resources, Knowsley Safari, Prescot, Merseyside, L34 4AN.
Please click here to view the job description.
Interviews are intended to take place at a suitable time and date to the candidate and ourselves until a suitable applicant has been found to fulfil the role.
We regret that if you have not heard from us within three weeks of your submitting your application, in this instance, you have been unsuccessful.
Working Hours: Monday to averaging 40 hours per week
Salary: £22,000-£27,000 (dependant on experience)
Closing Date: Open until suitable applicant is found
We have an exciting opportunity at the Knowsley Estate for a Site Supervisor within our Property Services department.
This role will involve providing reactive and planned maintenance services, addressing immediate operational and/or safety concerns, providing support to the Curatorial team and being a key member of the salvage team for the Estate.
Main duties & responsibilities will include:
- To efficiently carry out general reactive hands-on multi trade work such as joinery repairs, decoration and non-specialist repairs;
- To perform general cyclical and planned maintenance to buildings and services across the Estate;
- The coordination and supervision of external suppliers and contractors including liaising with them to ensure that work is carried out to the high standards required by the Estate and trades are coordinated;
- To monitor the progress and quality of works undertaken by external supplier and contractors including general auditing of H&S;
- To assist the Property Services Department with managing PPM schedules and compliance related works across the Estate including associated routine inspections, testing and servicing;
- To ensure that all tools, materials and vehicles are stored, maintained in good working order, routinely tested, recorded on the equipment register and available when required;
- Handling works of art and hanging pictures (training will be provided);
- To be the first point of contact for issues related to the main building services including the biomass (training will be provided).
Our ideal candidate:
- An excellent and broad level of construction knowledge and background is ideal;
- CSCS card holder;
- Ideally from a joinery background;
- Current and valid UK driving license;
- A high attention to detail;
- Work with precision and care;
- Commitment to delivery high standards;
- Professional attitude and approach to work;
- Previous Site Supervision experience would be advantageous;
- Up to date knowledge of H&S legislation;
- First Aid ideal but not essential.
- Together with the key requirements as highlighted in the job description and role specification.
View the job description here.
How to Apply:
Download our short application form here
If you are the ideal person for this role, please send a covering letter, CV and our short application form in to:
Email address email@example.com
Postal address Human Resources, Knowsley Hall, Prescot, Merseyside, L34 4AE
Knowsley Hall are proud to have received several prestigious awards.